8 oz. Cake Flour
8 oz. AP Flour
2 ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
8 oz. Butter
3 cups (1 lb. 5 oz) Sugar
¾ tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1 cup (8 oz) Egg Whites
1 ½ cups (12 oz) Milk
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Beat butter and sugar together.
- Add salt and vanilla.
- Set mixer to low and add egg whites.
- Alternate adding flour and milk. Scrape down the bowl then mix for 20 seconds at medium high.
- Bake at 350°.
*To make lemon flavored, replace vanilla extract with lemon extract and add the zest of one lemon. *
1 cup raspberry puree
3 sheets gelatin (bloomed)
1 cup heavy cream
- Whip cream to stiff peaks
- Melt bloomed gelatin into raspberry puree
- Fold into cream
*You can use this recipe with other fruit puree as well*
Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
3 lbs. Butter (room temperature)
12 oz. Egg Whites
24 oz. Sugar
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Over a double boiler, in a large metal bowl whisk together the granulated sugar and the egg whites stirring constantly until the mixture reaches approximately 140 degrees F and the sugar grains have dissolved and are not longer grainy to the touch.
- Pour this mixture into the bowl of your mixer with the whisk attachment and whip on high-speed until it is thick, glossy and white in color. The peaks should be as firm as firm can be. This takes ~10 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment on low-speed. Be sure your butter is at room temperature. Add the butter in a little at a time, but in fast additions.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Slowly increase the speed on the mixer and beat until smooth and glossy in appearance.