It’s the Friday Five with: Cynthia, Mar, and Courtney today! Today’s topic is Five Things I was Doing Ten Years Ago. This topic, combined with going through old pictures, had me laughing pretty good. It was certainly a nice trip down memory lane. I almost don’t even recognize myself. Ten years ago I had short hair, was very tan and had a nice manicure and pedicure. It is pretty crazy how much I’ve changed since then. Not for better or worse, just very different. Social media and iPhones had not yet entered my life either. Wow!
1. Living in Texas- My husband (then boyfriend) and I were living in an apartment in Texas while he finished up his PhD. I really miss Texas sometimes, especially in the winter. I do not miss that 24+ hour drive home though.
2. Driving an evil Honda Civic- That darn car is the reason why I will never buy a used car. I was driving loaner cars for the first 6 months after purchasing it due to transmission problems, electrical problems and the exhaust falling off twice. The first time was less than 24 hours after I bought it. Good times! One of my loaners was a mini van which is pretty mortifying when you are in college. I finally got rid of that car when the brakes rusted through and it tried to kill me.
3. Working at Red Lobster- I worked at RL for a total of 6 years between Texas and Pennsylvania. The irony in this is that I’m allergic to seafood. I always carried both Benadryl cream and tablets. I loved the people who I worked with though and it’s a great way to make a decent amount of cash. Waiting tables is hard work, but something I feel that everyone should experience. It gives you a totally different outlook on dining out.
4. Oscar Meyer (and fire ants) enter our lives- We got Oscar on my husband’s birthday almost exactly 10 years ago. I found a picture of him online and fell in love. He was the sweetest thing! The day we got him was also the day that we got fire ants all over our yard. What a nightmare that was! Before he was Oscar, the breeder had named him Double Trouble. Possibly that was an indication of things to come? He’s really been a good boy though. Oscar always loves to gives kisses or lick you to death, however you prefer to look at it.
5. Not Running- I was working out but nowhere near as much as I am now. My work out consisted of doing this balance ball routine 3x/week, which is certainly better than nothing. I had no desire to run at all. I remember trying to run a few times, but it wasn’t for me back then.
It’s certainly been a great ten years! The last 2 years have gone by in a whirlwind since having our daughter. It’s a little strange to think of a time when she wasn’t around. It will be interesting to do this again in ten years and look back to see how much has changed. Here’s to the next ten years!
What were you doing ten years ago?